July 01, 2010

Writing Challenge

I’ve taken up a challenge to write a blog entry each day for an entire month. I wanted to go one step further, and make that blog entry be a short story. I have obtained a set of story starter cards, which work like this. There are five types of cards which, if read in the proper order will make a complete (though strange) sentence. In total, there are 100 cards, twenty of each type. Each day I will draw five cards, which will “write” the opening sentence of my story, and I will write about a thousand words to follow up this story and bring it to a satisfactory conclusion. In theory, there are 3,200,000 different combinations of cards, but I know I won’t write that many stories from the cards…I’ll be finding other prompts long before I run out of possible combinations. I’ll start with the first story tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Have you ever heard of Writer's Book of Matches? It's great for prompts.

    ReplyDelete