February 19, 2013

Correcting a Fallacy


Today I’d like to talk about ebooks, and specifically their impact on the publishing world. I was just reading my (electronic!) copy of Analog, which is a contradiction in terms in and of itself, if you think about it. There is an article by Don Sakers which begins on page 102, where he writes some about ebooks, then gives reviews of several books which are available in both print and e-formats. Although his article is specifically about SF, it applies to all genres of writing. Mr. Sakers says, “Another consequence of e-books is removing traditional publishers as gatekeepers of content. This has both good and bad implications for SF. On the positive side, much more good SF will be published. The age of the mass market is fading; in a sense, we’re entering the age of the niche. To be sure, some niches are larger than others. There will always be big-name authors – but now, we’ll also have medium-size names, small names, tiny names, microscopic and nano-scale names all equally available to readers.

“The bad news is that the same expansion will result in enormously more bad SF. No one reader has the time to wade through thousands of unsuitable books in search of the one or two that are suitable.”

I’ve seen this argument repeated too often to count. Go back and read that last sentence again. When he’s talking about ebooks removing traditional publishers as gatekeepers, what he actually means is self-publishing of ebooks. Mr. Sakers seems to be discounting the thousands of traditionally published ebooks that are available to the reading public. The debate here is not electronic vs. print books, but traditional vs. self-publishing. His opinion is clear: self-publishing will force readers to wade through thousands of horribly written manuscripts in order to discover the one or two gems that have been written by good (i.e. traditionally published) authors.

No matter who states it, the argument is always drawn on the same lines, there will be thousands of horrible things to wade through in order to find the rare gems. I take exception to the math used by people who parrot this argument.

First, it’s very difficult to tell, before purchase, whether a book is self or traditionally published.

Second, there are many authors who have been traditionally published for many years, who are now self-publishing alongside their traditionally published works. Does the fact they are now self-pubbing suddenly make their work inferior? Of course not.

It is very true that many authors, myself included, would not be published at all if not for the financially feasible options of print-on-demand and e-books. However, it is absolutely not true that there are thousands of bad self-published books to every two or three gems.

I read constantly. I cannot get to sleep at night without reading. I read self-published books. I read traditionally published books. I read long out-of-print books that have been restored and made available as e-books. In 2012 I read 410 works containing well over 45,000 pages. That’s pleasure reading, not the reading I do for school classes, or for other informational purposes. It’s also books, not counting magazines, blogs, and my morning cereal box.

Every once in a while I find a book that’s so badly written, or so badly edited, that I can’t bear to finish it. More often I find a book that has outrageously stupid mistakes in the writing or editing – things that should have been caught by either the writer or one of the many editors. I find this sort of mistake in both traditionally published and self-published books.

By and large, most of the things I read are good enough to finish the book. Many of them are good enough to re-read. Unless I have an atypical experience as a reader, I would say that the ratios presented in Mr. Sakers' article are exactly reversed. Readers of traditional and self-published books have the privilege of enjoying thousands of well-written, well-edited stories, while knowing that they will definitely come across the few horrible pieces, which are both self- and traditionally published.

6 comments:

  1. I don't really care for ebooks. I just don't like reading things on my iPad. I prefer having the book physically in hand and going to the library to sort through books. I still read books on my device because they are usually books I can't get at my library or they are just avalible. Sorting through different ebooks is no different than sorting through books at the library. You're still going to end up with poorly written books.
    I'm working on writing a novel and the only way I can publish it is through self publishing and will most likely be an ebook. If there are so many people publishing poorly written and error filled books, it just means they aren't getting it properly edited. Wether ebook or hard cover, if its poorly edited your going to get a bad book.

    =(^._.^)=

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I personally love reading, and don't particularly care about the format, I'm very aware that there are many who are paper-only readers, as well as many who are e-only readers. The important thing is that we're all reading.

      On the quality issues, I agree with you entirely. "They" keep saying that you have to wade through "thousands" of bad books to find "a couple" of good ones that have been self-published. This is wrong. In my experience, the ratio of good to bad books is about the same in both traditionally and self-published. Both groups are capable of putting out hight quality work; both groups need to make use of good editors.

      By the way, you don't have to go e-book if you don't want to, although it will expose you to a wider audience. CreateSpace does a wonderful job on my print books, (all but one of my books is available in both print and ebook), and you can publish with them for free, if you do all the formatting etc. yourself. They're a good and honest company with good customer service to both authors and purchasers. Feel free to email me if you would like to talk specifics. anne@am-jenner.com

      Marie

      Delete
    2. The thing with self publishing.... I do suspect you'll find a lot more "bad" writing among self publishers as a whole, but categorically saying that all self published books are trash while traditionally published books are gems is stereotyping at its worst. Most traditionally published books, IMO, are awful. Have you read those Twilight books? *rolling eyes*

      I'll also say that anyone who argues that it's harder to find the gems among the trash of self-published titles are also full of it. The Internet is something of a great equalizer. If it's really bad, people will post reviews about how bad it really is on places like Amazon, and you'll find that people stop buying it. You don't have to READ the book to know its junk. =) Good books get a lot more word-of-mouth support than bad books.

      Capitalism at its best! =)

      Delete
    3. Which is my point here, that the common stereotyping self-published works as mostly bad and traditionally published works as all good is completely off the mark. As a matter of fact, of the last three books that I picked up, started to read, and washed my hands of because they were badly written (not badly edited, badly written!) two were traditionally published and one was self-published.

      I agree that authors who take care to do their best will stay around, while authors who don't know what they're doing won't, regardless of the mode of publishing. Which is, I think, my other point...that mode of publishing has absolutely nothing to do with quality of contents.

      ~Marie

      Delete
  2. Two books come to mind; _Lord of the Rings_ and _Flatland_.
    So many love the LotR, I slogged my way through thinking that at some point I'd understand why.
    Fl would probably bore most folks. I loved it.
    I agree, bad writing and editing can ruin a good story. Neither can save a bad story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, I need an "agree" button for my comments...

      Delete