March 26, 2013

What is Real?

When we talk about reality, we are usually referring to the three-dimensional physical world that we live in. Anything not a part of that world is declared to be not real, or in other words, fiction. People who like to think they live out their lives only in the “real world” tend to dismiss fiction as being for children and dreamers. I’ve even heard it said that fiction is for people who can’t handle reality.

I submit that reality is for people who can’t handle fiction. An adult who enjoys reading fiction is someone who hasn’t lost their imagination. Too often we see children playing in rich imaginary worlds, and we tell them to grow up. This teaches them to be ashamed of having an imagination, and that imaginary things are only for children.

Adults who are able to hold on to their imagination are people who enjoy reading fiction. For them, the words on the page paint pictures in their mind, and the characters live out their lives in beautiful color. They see the events in the book as though they were watching a movie.

Still, even many adults who enjoy reading fiction have only managed to retain a part of their imagination. I make this statement based on the sheer number of them who ask me where I get my ideas from. Many of them don’t believe me when I tell them I just make stuff up out of my imagination. They persist in wanting to know where my ideas come from.

Where my ideas come from is a story for a different post.

The point here is that the imaginary worlds in books and movies are no less real in the minds of the consumers, the people who read the books and watch the movies. They’re also real in the minds of the writers who make them. It’s less a matter of not knowing the difference between fact and fiction, but more an acknowledgement that reality is comprised of both fact and fiction, and that there’s room enough for writers and readers to enjoy more than one kind of reality.

~Marie

2 comments:

  1. I'm guessing you have vivid dreams too.
    Yes, I said "funny" because I know people who resemble your remarks about folks who don't read fiction.
    I have trouble with non-fiction. I feel like one rarely gets the truth from all sides of the event.
    Bios and autobios also seem to have a bias.
    I will say I loved Dame Edna Everage's bio. I laughed, I cried, I wanted more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know a lot of them too, apparently. Fortunately, I also know a lot of writers who have managed to reach adulthood with their imagination intact.

      I don't usually read biographies unless the subject matter (other than the person's life) is of interest to me. For example, when I was considering being a journalist, I rather enjoyed Dan Rather's "The Camera Never Blinks", not because I was particularly interested in him as an individual, but because I was interested in reading what the life of a journalist was like.

      I agree with you that most non-fiction, not just bios, have a bias of some sort. Yes, it's factual, but you can introduce a subtle bias by your choice of which facts to include - and which to discard.

      That said, I simply prefer to read fiction for my entertainment. It's more...entertaining.

      Delete